Mold at shore homes can be common. The Jersey Shore is known for having some of the best beaches in the state and along the east coast. People travel from hours away just to enjoy a day at the beach with family. Many even live out of state and own summer homes in places like Long Beach Township and Sea Girt and Spring Lake.
Unfortunately, many people who own these homes are not aware of the heightened potential for mold growth at the shore. Why? What is the reason for a higher potential of mold growth living at the shore? As hard as it is to believe, yes, there is actually a down-side to living on the beach.
Call 732-716-2384 or Contact Us for a Mold in Shore Homes Removal Quote
Humidity is the amount of moisture present in the air at a given time. Anyone who has spent more then 3 seconds outside of their air-conditioned home or car at that jersey shore in the summer can tell you just how humid it is. Moisture is the key to mold growth. It is what feeds molds and is the driving force it needs along with a few others to replicate.
What mold in shore homes needs to grow…
- Moisture/Humidity 60% Relative humidity or more
- Organic food source… wood, paper, cellulose material
- Time to grow, usually within 48 hours.
Most of our homes today are made of the perfect feeding material for mold, wood and paper. Add the food source to the extreme humidity of the Jersey Shore, then think of areas like your basements, crawl spaces and attics. These are usually places that are dark, lack sufficient air flow, and have lots of wood present. These areas are the perfect storm for mold growth. Do not worry there are things that you can do to help protect yourself from ever having the need for mold removal or remediation in your home.
How Does This Affect Me And My Family?
Something to consider is with the increased potential for mold growth how does this affect me and my family. Crawl spaces and basements can feed up to 40% of the air we breathe in our homes. As the air temperature in the house increases and rises upward, it pulls air up from below your home. If your basement or crawl space has mold growth and elevated moisture it could be feeding that musty air filled with spores into the rest of your home, which in turn can make you or your loved ones sick.
Causes of High Humidity at the Jersey Shore:
The Jersey Shore’s picturesque coastal location contributes significantly to the area’s high humidity levels. Understanding the specific factors behind this elevated humidity is essential for homeowners looking to prevent mold growth. Here are some of the primary reasons:
- Proximity to the Ocean: The Jersey Shore’s immediate proximity to the Atlantic Ocean is a major contributor to its high humidity levels. Ocean waters release moisture into the air through a process known as evaporation. Coastal regions like the Jersey Shore receive this moisture-laden air, causing higher humidity.
- Prevailing Wind Patterns: Wind patterns play a crucial role in transporting humid air from the ocean to the shore. In the summer, prevailing southwesterly winds bring warm, moist air from the ocean, further increasing humidity levels.
- Seasonal Weather Variations: Our entire service area throughout New Jersey experiences distinct seasons, with hot and humid summers and cooler, wetter winters. During the summer months, temperatures rise, leading to increased evaporation from the ocean and subsequently higher humidity. This seasonality can make homes especially vulnerable to mold growth in the warmer months.
Understanding these causes of high humidity is the first step in mold prevention. Homeowners should be aware of the environmental factors that make their shore homes more susceptible to mold, allowing them to take proactive measures to mitigate the risks.
How To Protect Your Home At The Jersey Shore From Mold
The greatest tool any home owner will have to fight off the potential for mold in there home is dehumidification. Fighting off that moisture that can build up in, under or above your home is your greatest weapon to fight off mold growth. Control the moisture and you can control the mold growth.
Moisture proofing areas in your home is another tool to fight off these silent invaders. Vapor barriers, increased air flow, proper insulation procedures are necessary components to keeping the proper flow of air in, under, and above your home to stop the moisture content from ever getting to a point to allow mold growth.
Early Warning Signs of Mold:
Recognizing the early warning signs of mold is crucial for homeowners seeking to address mold issues before they become severe. Mold can grow undetected in hidden areas, so being vigilant is essential. Here are some key indicators to watch for:
- Musty Odors: Mold often produces a distinctive musty odor. If you notice unpleasant, earthy smells in your home, particularly in areas like basements, attics, or crawl spaces, it could indicate hidden mold growth.
- Visible Growth: The most obvious sign of a mold problem is visible mold growth on walls, ceilings, or other surfaces. Mold can appear in various colors, including black, green, or brown. Check all areas, especially those with a history of moisture issues.
- Health Symptoms: Mold exposure can lead to health problems, including allergies, respiratory issues, and skin irritations. If you or your family members experience unexplained health symptoms that seem to worsen at home but improve when away, mold might be the culprit.
- Water Stains or Damage: Any signs of water damage, such as stains on walls or ceilings, should be investigated. Where there’s water damage, there’s an increased risk of mold growth.
- High Humidity: If you have a hygrometer, which measures indoor humidity levels, keep an eye on it. Indoor humidity levels above 60% can create an environment conducive to mold growth.
By being vigilant for these early warning signs, homeowners can take swift action to address mold issues, whether through DIY methods or by seeking professional assistance. Early detection is key to preventing more extensive and costly mold problems in the long run.
What If You Have Mold Growth Already?
If you have mold growth already or are unsure and want to check you home, that is where our team of professional mold inspectors and remediators come in. Our certified mold inspector can find the source of mold growth and come up with a plan to help combat the moisture issue in your home.
Our team of certified microbial remediators are trained to perform the industries highest standards for containing the mold growth in your home and performing mold removal tactics to keep you and your family safe. Basement mold removal and crawl space mold removal is nothing to worry about when you call our team of professionals at Mastertech Environmental Jersey Shore, serving the people of Ocean and Monmouth county.